SPTX INNOVATION LEAD
Unit Function: This post is part of the SpTx Directorate responsible for delivering c. £4bn of benefit over 10 years. The Innovation team is key to identifying new areas of opportunity and commissioning and undertaking discovery / pilot studies that have the support of a Command customer(s), with the potential to be applied throughout the Support Network, transforming Support across Defence.
The role requires an individual with a strong ‘Support’ (Engineering Support, Equipment Support or Logistics Support) background, with up-to-date operational expertise, ideally in a Joint environment. The incumbent will be responsible for developing an innovation portfolio that will exploit seed funding and experimentation to identify innovative solutions that will transform the future of Support in Defence. They will be required to provide support to the Defence Support senior team; work alongside colleagues in the Concepts and Force Development space; and work closely with colleagues across the Front Line Commands and UKStratCom to ensure coherence and de-confliction across parallel innovation programmes.
1. Identify and commission areas of opportunity and innovation, ensuring the most cost effective and efficient means of delivery.
2. Manage the delivery of multiple Projects within the Performance / Cost / Time envelop, ensuring alignment with strategic vision and outcomes.
3. Manage benefits realisation (efficiency & effectiveness) and delivery across all Projects.
4. Establish and maintain effective relationships across a wide range of stakeholders, including industry, to ensure coherence and exploit best practice.
5. Support the Defence Support Lead in developing the Support approach to achieving wider Government’s targets such as Net Zero 50 Carbon Neutrality target.
6. Support and deputise for OF5 as necessary. Ability to brief senior staff up to 2* level (Civilian and Military).
• Experience of working in DE&S.
• MSP practitioner (or similar) qualification (or prepared to qualify within six months of selection).
• Experience, working in the Joint environment, as this is a pan-Defence role.
Applicants will undergo an initial eligibility sift. Successful applicants will have their details forwarded to the Post Sponsor to arrange interviews. Unsuccessful applicants will be advised accordingly.
Following interviews; the successful applicant will be informed that they are the Preferred Candidate with details being sent to the CM RES FTRS Cell who will continue the recruitment process. Unsuccessful applicants will be advised accordingly.
Once the recruitment process is complete then the Preferred Candidate will be invited to take up FTRS.
INITIAL COMMITMENT LENGTH WILL BE UP TO 31 MAR 23 WITH POTENTIAL TO EXTEND
NB: Where the Anticipated Start date has already passed, the start date will be ASAP
Eligibility for FTRS/ADC
Any member of the Maritime Volunteer Reserves (RNR, RMR) or the Royal Fleet Reserves (RFR) (Ex-Regular Reserve) may volunteer to undertake a period of FTRS/ADC. Ex-Regular personnel whose RFR liability has run out may be re-instated to take up FTRS/ADC.
Applicants undertaking a period of FTRS/ADC must be suitably qualified by rank, specialisation, qualifications and experience to fill the posts for which they apply. Applications will be accepted from reservists who hold one rank or more above or one rank only below the advertised rank. Applicants one rank below may be employed in the acting higher rank if they are suitable, qualified and meet current promotion regulations in all respects. Applicants prepared to serve in a position at a lower rank then the rank worn will be appropriate to that of the position. Exceptions will not normally be considered.
Applicants must also be medically fit to fulfil the duties which their Commitment will require them to undertake. Personnel who have been discharged P8 permanently unsuitable Naval Service through the MBOS and Employability Board will not be considered.
Applications for this job are to be submitted on the FTRS Job Application Form which should be emailed to:
Please use the phrase “Job Application for (followed by job title and reference number)” in the Subject line.
Suitable candidates will be informed about the next stage of the process approximately 2 weeks after the closing date.
This opportunity is closed to applications.