RAFD DS 20 RES1
A vacancy will arise for a Squadron Leader to serve as RAFD DS20 RES1 (Directing Staff) in the RAF Division of the Joint Services Command and Staff College (JSCSC) of the Defence Academy (Def Ac) Shrivenham, Wiltshire. The post is an ADC position, with an initial target start date of 01 March 2022 (or earlier).
The RAFD Directing Staff 20 Reserve 1 post will carry out DS duties on the Intermediate Officer Development Programme (IODP) of courses. DS are required to develop the intellectual edge and leadership skills of RAF officers in order to enable the successful exploitation of air and space power on operations.
Specific tasks include:
- DS for IODP course Syndicates of up to 12 x OF3 students with varied experience & seniority
- Educate Command, Leadership & Management communications, personnel management & analytical skills.
- Facilitate Syndicate Room Activities and assessed discussion forums.
- Syllabus & content development / revision & CI tasks.
- Org external visits & visiting presenters as required.
- Evaluate student performance & provide verbal & written debriefs on individual exercises & overall performance.
- Deliver mid-course reports & end of course reports, inc student debriefs as required.
- All other duties, inc course management, course leadership & development projects as required.
- Pastoral duties in support of students throughout selected courses in the residential phase of RAF Div Courses.
- Administration of RAF Div course activity before, during and after the residential phase, in tandem with the RAF Division Serco Admin and Support Staff.
- Supporting the RAF Division Plans Co-ordinator and XO in the long-term planning of selected RAF Div courses, thereby ensuring sufficient resources are allocated and coordinated.
- Creating and maintaining a learning environment that is compliant with ED&I Service policy.
- Must either have been, or currently be, a Squadron Leader - Any Branch or a Flight Lieutenant eligible for promotion in accordance with AP3393 Vol 2 Leaflet 560 and AP 3376 Vol 1. All promotions will be ratified by means of a Promotion Board.
- Plans and organises effectively.
- Produce quality staff work and have strong effective writing and verbal communication skills.
- Show a clear understanding of professional environment, and understands wider Service matters, broader Defence issues and military doctrine.
- Briefs and presents effectively with the ability to inform and convince others.
- Completed ICSC(A) or IOD4&5 (or on appointment if promoted on appointment).
- Completed a tour in command at sqn ldr level.
- Can deal with multiple and complex issues; high integrity/initiative, with the strength of character to deal efficiently with high volumes of work to tight timeframes.
- Defence Trainer (or DIT), JSCSC DHET – can be completed in post
- Coaching or mentoring qualification(s) or equivalent.
- Able to project personality and character in order to motivate and inspire staff and students.
A Selection Board will carry out a rigorous selection process for this post, based principally on an applicant’s last 4 appraisal reports as required. Enquiries concerning this vacancy should be made to:
Sqn Ldr Davina Fisher, SO2 JFD Reserves
Applications. Due to the current COVID-19 situation candidate applications, with a maximum 2-page CV (to include copies of last 4 appraisal reports as required) should be sent electronically to email@example.com
The closing date for applications is Friday 5 November 2021.
Interviews will take place week commencing 15 November 2021 (unless prom board required).
Unless already commissioned in the Reserve Air Forces the successful applicant will be required to be commissioned in the RAFR with a liability for call-out for permanent service.
The appointment is on Additional Duties Commitment TaCoS in accordance with AP 3392 Vol 7 Part 1 Chapter 16 and AP3392 Vol 7 Part 3 Chapter 2 for an initial period of 3 years.
Confirmation of appointment will depend on successful completion of a RAF Medical Board. Personnel who do not meet the Age/Permanent Joint Medical Employment Standard (PJMES) may apply for the appointment but will only be considered subject to an executive waiver process on a case by case basis.
Applicants of an equivalent rank from sister Services may apply but will only be accepted into RAFR service if an appropriate branch/trade sponsor can be identified to sponsor the applicant. Branch/trade sponsor approval must be agreed before the interview.
Regular Service Applicants. Personnel currently serving in the Regular Royal Air Force should be mindful of the current Early Termination Minimum Waiting Time (MWT) for their respective Rank, Branch/Trade and ensure this MWT is compatible with the post sponsor’s proposed start date, prior to applying.
Ex-service candidates who have been administratively discharged will have their applications rejected as they are not eligible to join the RAF Reserves in accordance with AP 3391 (Vol 3, Lft 207, Annex L, Para 1a).
Pension Issues. Personnel who qualify for a service pension should take financial advice from Defence Business Services (DBS) Pensions Department on the effect that undertaking reserve service has on their pension (details can be found on the JPA splash screen). Additional guidance can also be found at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pensions-and-compensation-for-veterans. Of particular note is reference to the ‘Effect of Re-employment on Commutation’.
Flexible Working Arrangements. In accordance with the Flexible Working (FW) Policy, Reserves personnel are able to request FW arrangements with their line manager. Any immediate FW requirements should be agreed with the line management at the interview stage.
Individual Reinforcement Training (IRT) (Module 1) and RAF Fitness Test (RAFFT). Reserve personnel are required to maintain currency in IRT and the RAFFT iaw the relevant TaCoS. The successful applicant will be expected to undertake IRT and the RAFFT within 6 months of commencing employment (if required).
Annual Salary and Leave. Pay will be in accordance with the pay scales published for the reserve air forces. Leave entitlement is detailed in JSP 760.
Accommodation. Personnel serving ADC are eligible to occupy Single Living Accommodation (SLA), on a case by case basis if available, at entitled rates, if serving within the JFD.