OC MED FLT 502 SQN
A vacancy has arisen for a Squadron Leader (Any); however, preference will be given to those in Medical Profession, to serve as Officer Commanding Medical Flt with No. 502 (Ulster) Sqn, Aldergrove Flying Station on Additional Duties Commitment (180) Terms and Conditions of Service (TCoS), with an initial proposed start date of 6th March 2023.
The ideal candidate will have been, or currently be, a Sqn Ldr, or a Flt Lt eligible for promotion. The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Providing a permanent interface between 502 Sqn and the Medical Reserve Support Cell (MRSC), 612 Sqn and DMS Units in NI.
- Facilitating and overseeing recruitment of medical personnel with support from 502 Sqn, in conjunction with Reserve Medical and Nursing Liaison Officer (RMNLO) RAF Cranwell, through a programme of targeted recruitment.
- Inducting medical personnel from recruitment to completion of Phase 2 trg and co-ordinate Phase 3 continuous trg as per Comd Med (RAF)’s Training Directive.
- In conjunction with MRSC, 502 Sqn and 612 Sqn, ensure the effectiveness of medical pers outputs including Healthcare Governance and training.
- Maintaining and monitoring the Medical Risk Register, informing the relevant CoC as appropriate. This includes co-ordinating ACCESS NI screening for all medical pers.
- Providing briefs, statistics and reports to monitor and manage Medical Flt recruitment progress and trends.
- Liaising with Health and Social Care Trusts within Northern Ireland; through DRM and RFCA(NI).
- In acting as the SPOC, managing the timely completion of Medical Reservists’ annual appraisals, coordinating appropriate 1st and 2nd ROs especially for those Reservists requiring specialist medical input from ROs off Stn.
- Must either have been, or currently be, a Squadron Leader (Any) or a Flight Lieutenant (Any) eligible for promotion in accordance with AP 3393 Vol 1 and AP 7000. All Promotions will be ratified by means of a Promotion Board.
- If an applicant has been out of full-time military service and is applying for a post on promotion, they will also need to send their civilian appraisals or equivalent to evidence recent skills, knowledge and experience to be considered by the Promotion Board.
- Strong communication, organisational and management skills.
- The successful applicant will be required to undertake Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Clearance. If not already held, this must be achieved, or appropriate waiver granted, before any formal offer of employment is made.
- Previous Staff experience.
- Experience with the RAF Medical Services.
- Have experience of working in a post associated with the RAF Reserve.
A Selection Board will carry out a rigorous selection process for this post, based principally on an applicant’s last 4 appraisal reports as required.
Enquiries concerning this vacancy should be made to:
Wing Commander McCleery
Tel: 02894 456062
Applications. Candidate applications, with a maximum 2-page CV (to include copies of last 4 appraisal reports as required) should be sent to:
Squadron Leader John Ellis
2 IC MRSC
The closing date for applications is 30 October 2022 and interviews (unless prom board required) are proposed for December 2022.
Unless already commissioned in the Reserve Air Forces the successful applicant will be required to be commissioned in the RAuxAF with a liability for call-out for permanent service.
The appointment is on Additional Duties Commitment TCoS of 180 days in accordance with AP 3392 Vol 7 Part 1 and AP3392 Vol 7 Part 3 Chapter 2 for a period of 4 years.
Confirmation of appointment will depend on successful completion of a RAF Medical Board. Personnel who do not meet the Age/Permanent Joint Medical Employment Standard (PJMES) may apply for the appointment but will only be considered subject to an executive waiver process on a case-by-case basis.
Candidates who have been out of regular or reserve service for more than 5 years may be considered for this appointment. Prior approval must be sought from the relevant Professions Advisor to confirm current and past experience prior to being invited to interview.
Regular Service Applicants. Personnel currently serving in the Regular Royal Air Force should be mindful of the current Early Termination Minimum Waiting Time (MWT) for their respective Rank, Branch and ensure this MWT is compatible with the post sponsor’s proposed start date, prior to applying.
Ex-service candidates who have been administratively discharged through the QR1027 process will have their applications rejected as they are not eligible to join the RAF Reserves in accordance with AP 3391 (Vol 3, Lft 207, Annex L, Para 1a)
Pension Issues. Personnel who qualify for a service pension should take financial advice from Defence Business Services (DBS) Pensions Department on the effect that undertaking reserve service has on their pension (details can be found on the JPA splash screen). Additional guidance can also be found at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pensions-and-compensation-for-veterans and MMP116 - Re-employment. Of particular note is reference to the ‘Effect of Re-employment’ on Commutation and, for those leaving on a ‘preserved’ pension, the Resettlement Grant.
Transition Between TCoS. Personnel taking this appointment from other TCoS should consider the impact on any accrued entitlements, such as leave, resettlement etc and should seek specialist guidance where required as certain entitlements are TCoS specific and may not be retained or transferred on transition between TCoS.
Flexible Working Arrangements. In accordance with the Flexible Working (FW) Policy, Reserves personnel are able to request FW arrangements with their line manager. Any immediate FW requirements should be agreed with the line management at the interview stage.
Individual Reinforcement Training (IRT) (Module 1) and RAF Fitness Test (RAFFT). Reserve personnel are required to maintain currency in IRT and the RAFFT iaw the relevant TCoS. The successful applicant will be expected to undertake IRT and the RAFFT within 6 months of commencing employment (if required).
Annual Salary and Leave. Pay will be in accordance with the pay scales published for the reserve air forces. Leave entitlement is detailed in JSP 760.
Accommodation. Personnel serving on ADC TCoS are eligible to occupy Single Living Accommodation (SLA) if available, at entitled rates, if serving within the Air Command TLB.
This opportunity is closed to applications.