SO2 Defence Lessons
This is great opportunity for a SO2, or SO3, to fill a short term (5 month) gapped role on single Service VERR, ADC or RSDs as SO2 Defence Lessons at Joint Warfare (JW). This is an exciting opportunity to work in a dynamic Joint HQ. An initial 90 RSDs are available for an immediate start, however depending on when the regular post is filled, this could be extended. The role could be conducted predominantly working from home, although an approximately fortnightly presence at Joint Warfare, Northwood, to brief the 2nd RO, Col Analysis and Assurance, would be required. Precise working days and hours would be agreed between the individual and the CoC, albeit JW’s normal battle rhythm is predominantly 0800-1800.
SO2 Defence Lessons is the primary desk officer for the delivery of a coherent Defence Lessons policy and publications for the Director of Joint Warfare (DJW). Enable the effective communication and use of lessons in the wider JFD process. Manage Defence Lessons Information Management System (DLIMS) improvement work.
Responsibilities: The role includes, although is not limited to:
- Lead on the delivery of coherent Defence Lessons Policy and publications for Comd UK StratCom and DJW. Support in the delivery of a reviewed and revised Defence Lessons DIN
- Enable the effective communication and use of lessons in the wider Joint Force Development (JFD) process
- Support with the delivery of digital lessons platforms, exploiting machine learning opportunity from private sector.
- When required, support SO2 Operational Learning in the synthesis and resolution of Joint and Operational lessons to feed JFD boards.
- Support SO2 Operational Learning’s engagement with Head Office and the single Services, Lead on pan-Defence, cross-Government and international lessons activities.
- Ensure coherence and collaboration with Defence's Organisational Learning Policy.
- Deliver a communication plan for lessons as an operational capability, across Defence.
- Support SO2 Operational Lessons in the management of Current Joint Lessons.
This position requires working harmoniously in a joint environment whilst representing their own Service, and to liaise successfully with a wide variety of contacts. The span of responsibility demands a good quality staff officer who should have a track record of being capable of periodically working with the minimum of supervision. This staff officer will regularly brief to 1* and beyond. DV clearance desirable, SC a requirement
JW’s mission is to direct the development, preparation, integration, assurance and analysis, to create advantage for the Joint Force.
Directorate Joint Warfare sits within Joint Force Development within UK Strategic Command (UKStratCom). The vision of Joint Force Development is to be the thought-leadership engine that gives UK Defence the edge on a global stage. The role of Directorate Joint Warfare is to ensure that the Joint Force is ready for operations through operational level force development, military exercises, contingency reporting and lessons learnt.
- Delegates appropriately.
- Manages resources efficiently and optimises capability within constraints.
Seeks to enhance professional knowledge and understanding of new technology and developments.
Demonstrates knowledge of Service matters and military doctrine.
- Demonstrates critical application of available information to arrive at sound, timely decisions.
Creates and grasps opportunities for improvements.
Back Ground In Communications would be useful.
Previous experience with lessons / info management would be useful.
This opportunity is closed to applications.