A vacancy has arisen for a Flight Lieutenant (Flying Branch Any) to serve as Station Flight Safety Officer at Leuchars Station on Full Time Reserve Service (Home Commitment) Terms and Conditions of Service (TCoS), with an initial proposed start date of not before 05 January 2022.
Leuchars Station is an Army base with the Leuchars Diversion Airfield (known as LDA and administered from RAF Lossiemouth) retained as a diversion option for FJ aircraft operating from RAF Lossiemouth and other airfields. The post requires a highly motivated person who will work to maintain and improve Total Safety. It also provides an opportunity for wider service in an executive capacity.
- As Officer Commanding the LDA Satellite Safety Cell you will be responsible for:
- Working with the RAF Lossiemouth Safety Centre and the Leuchars Station Support Unit (SSU), to promote an effective Flight Safety, Error Management and Foreign Object Damage (FOD) protection culture at LDA as well as promoting Functional Safety, Quality Assurance and Continuous Development as part of Total Safety.
- Providing advice and support on Air Safety to the SATCO (OC LDA) and the Aerodrome Operator (OC Ops Wg, RAF Lossiemouth).
- Organising regular Safety Meetings and attending other meetings where Safety is on the agenda.
- Ownership and co-ordination of the LDA Defence Aerodrome Manual (DAM) including the Aerodrome Operator’s Hazard Log and the Flying Order Book.
- Delivering an effective Aviation Error Management System.
- Acting as a Human Factors (HF) Facilitator to ensure HF currency is maintained at LDA.
- Organising Station Crash and other Safety Exercises.
- In the event of an aircraft incident, facilitating the requirements of the RAF Service Inquiry Team.
- Acting (when required) as deputy to OC LDA with respect to management of LDA, liaison with the SSU and with the Station Executives at RAF Lossiemouth.
- Carrying out projects as required in support of exercises and deployments and the future development of LDA.
- Must either have been, or currently be, a Flight Lieutenant – Flying Branch.
- Applicants must possess effective communications skills (verbal, written and IT) and be able to brief and present with authority.
- Serving or Former Military Aircrew
- Working knowledge of the RAF Safety environment.
- Completed the Flight Safety Officers’ course.
- Completed the Human Factors Facilitators’ course.
- Completed the Post Crash Management Incident Officer course.
- Completed the Senior Quality Management Course
- Completed the Managing Safely Course
- Completed Lean Leadership Academy
A Selection Board will carry out a rigorous selection process for this post, based principally on an applicant’s last 4 appraisal reports as required. Enquiries concerning this vacancy should be made to:
Name: Flt Lt Matt Paterson
Tel: 07580 306634
Applications. Candidate applications, with a maximum 2-page CV (to include copies of last 4 appraisal reports as required) should be sent to:
Squadron Leader B Flynn
Officer Commanding Leuchars Diversion Airfield, Leuchars Station, St Andrews KY16 OJX Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is 30 September 2021 and interviews will take place week commencing 04 October 2021.
Unless already commissioned in the Reserve Air Forces the successful applicant will be required to be commissioned in the RAFR with a liability for call-out for permanent service.
The appointment is on Full Time Reserve Service (Home Commitment) TCoS in accordance with AP 3392 Vol 7 Part 1 Chapter 16 and AP3392 Vol 7 Part 3 Chapter 2 for an initial period of 5 years.
Confirmation of appointment will depend on successful completion of a RAF Medical Board. Personnel who do not meet the Age/Permanent Joint Medical Employment Standard (PJMES) may apply for the appointment but will only be considered subject to an executive waiver process on a case by case basis.
Candidates who have been out of regular or reserve service for more than 5 years may be considered for this appointment. Prior approval must be sought from the relevant Branch & Trade Advisor to confirm current and past experience prior to being invited to interview.
Applicants of an equivalent rank from sister Services may apply but will only be accepted into RAFR service if an appropriate branch/trade sponsor can be identified to sponsor the applicant. Branch/trade sponsor approval must be agreed before the interview.
Regular Service Applicants. Personnel currently serving in the Regular Royal Air Force should be mindful of the current Early Termination Minimum Waiting Time (MWT) for their respective Rank, Branch/Trade and ensure this MWT is compatible with the post sponsor’s proposed start date, prior to applying.
Ex-service candidates who have been administratively discharged through the QR1027 process will have their applications rejected as they are not eligible to join the RAF Reserves in accordance with AP 3391 (Vol 3, Lft 207, Annex L, Para 1a).
Pension Issues. Personnel who qualify for a service pension should take financial advice from Defence Business Services (DBS) Pensions Department on the effect that undertaking reserve service has on their pension (details can be found on the JPA splash screen). Additional guidance can also be found at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pensions-and-compensation-for-veterans. Of particular note is reference to the ‘Effect of Re-employment on Commutation’.
Flexible Working Arrangements. In accordance with the Flexible Working (FW) Policy, Reserves personnel are able to request FW arrangements with their line manager. Any immediate FW requirements should be agreed with the line management at the interview stage.
Individual Reinforcement Training (IRT) (Module 1) and RAF Fitness Test (RAFFT). Reserve personnel are required to maintain currency in IRT and the RAFFT iaw the relevant TCoS. The successful applicant will be expected to undertake IRT and the RAFFT within 6 months of commencing employment (if required).
Annual Salary and Leave. Pay will be in accordance with the pay scales published for the reserve air forces. Leave entitlement is detailed in JSP 760.
Accommodation. Personnel serving on FTRS(LC/HC)/ADC TCoS are eligible to occupy Single Living Accommodation (SLA) if available, at entitled rates, if serving within the Air Command TLB.
This opportunity is closed to applications.