COS Spt Professions Board Programme Manager
A vacancy has arisen for a Group Captain (Eng, Logs or Cyberspace) to serve as COS Spt Professions Board Programme Manager at RAF COSFORD on Additional Duties Commitment (180) Terms and Conditions of Service (TCoS), with an initial proposed start date of 26 September 2022 (or earlier/later depending upon candidate status).
Following the appointment of COS Spt as Hd of Profession for Engineering, Cyberspace & Logistics within the RAF there is a need to establish an OF5 led Project Management Office (PMO) function to cohere and manage, on behalf of COS Spt, the creation of the three Professions as part of the wider RAF Professions Programme and to support, where required, the implementation of the Engineering and Logistics Capability Strategies.
This OF5 appointment is an exciting opportunity to join the organisation at the early stages of this significant change and places the candidate at the heart of work to transform the way in which we attract, train, develop and employ Engineers, Logisticians and Cyberspace professionals in the years ahead. Led by the OF5 the PMO function will comprise 1 OF4 & 1 OF 3 and 1 OF2 Media & Comms specialist on ADC or VeRR TCoS (thro’ CSG/BSG), each contributing up to 180 days per year to FY 24/25 to support the creation and evolution of the COS Spt PMO. This team is subject to ongoing establishment.
- Working via the 1* Support Transformation Director, the OF 5 led PMO function will sit in the COS Spt HQ reporting into COS Spt through the COS Spt Chaired Professions Programme Bd. Working with RAF CDIO, ACOS A4, ACOS RAF Digital Delivery and their teams & with the COS Pers (SRO) led RAF Professions Programme team the OF5 PMO Manager will:
- Oversee, cohere and coordinate the delivery of the 3 Professions and supporting Governance that sit in COS Spt and CDIO AOR; Engineering, Logistics & Cyberspace.
- Govern & manage this activity through the COS Spt Professions Bd and supporting 1 Star led Profession Steering Groups, taking account of inter-dependencies with other change programmes where that impacts/influences.
- Across all 3 Professions, draw together and manage/coordinate Scheduling, Resourcing, Reporting, Risk Mgt, Finance and Communications/Stakeholder Mgt activity into a coherent Programme of work.
- Coordinate project progress & reporting into COS Spt, CDIO & the COS Pers (SRO) Professions Programme,
- Be prepared to support the planning for & delivery of (1) the Engineering Capability & (2) the Logistics Capability & (3) Air Spt Strategies, ensuring coherence with the RAF Digital Strategy where appropriate.
- Creation of supporting Business case activity to gain additional resource including but not restricted to formalising virtual into to direct teams. Acquire resources including external assistance to complement project delivery.
- In order to achieve this the Programme Manager:
- Must have full access to MODNET,
- Is able to work remotely,
- Is to attend the RAF Engineering Board termly,
- Be available to update COS Spt on a regular basis (nominally once a fortnight),
- Be available to attend the annual RAF Engineering, Cyberspace and Logistics Conference as a speaker,
- Support and mentor the PMO Team.
- Must either have been, or currently be, a Group Captain or a Wg Cdr eligible for promotion in accordance with AP 3393 Vol 1 and AP 7000. All Promotions will be ratified by means of a Promotion Board. If an applicant has been out of full-time military service and is applying for a post on promotion, they will also need to send their civilian appraisals or equivalent to evidence recent skills, knowledge and experience to be considered by the Promotion Board.
- Have recent experience of leading, managing and delivering RAF engineering, cyberspace or logistics activity, personnel and /or training of Engineering or Logistics Branch and Trades within the past 5 years.
- Wider ground branch with recent programme & change management or project delivery experience.
- SC Security Clearance.
- Command experience at OF 4
- Professional Qualifications: MSP, APM PMQ, PRINCE 2 , MoR
A Selection Board will carry out a rigorous selection process for this post, based principally on an applicant’s last 4 appraisal reports. Enquiries concerning this vacancy should be made to:
Gp Capt Shaun McLaughlin
Mob - 07955234760
And/or Air Cdre David Tozer
Mob – 07967775980
Applications. Candidate applications, with a maximum 2-page CV (to include copies of last 4 appraisal reports as required) should be sent to:
Air Cdre David Tozer; firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is 01 July 2022. And interviews (unless prom board required) will take place week commencing 21 July 2022.
Unless already commissioned in the Reserve Air Forces the successful applicant will be required to be commissioned in the Royal Air Force Reserves with a liability for call-out for permanent service.
The appointment is on Additional Duties Commitment TCoS in accordance with AP 3392 Vol 7 Part 1 and AP3392 Vol 7 Part 3 Chapter 2 for an initial period of up to 28-June-2024.
Confirmation of appointment will depend on successful completion of a RAF Medical Board. Personnel who do not meet the Age/Permanent Joint Medical Employment Standard (PJMES) may apply for the appointment but will only be considered subject to an executive waiver process on a case-by-case basis.
Candidates who have been out of regular or reserve service for more than 5 years may be considered for this appointment. Prior approval must be sought from the relevant Professions Advisor to confirm current and past experience prior to being invited to interview.
Applicants of an equivalent rank from sister Services may apply but will only be accepted into the Royal Air Force Reserves if an appropriate Professions advisor can be identified to sponsor the applicant. The relevant Profession’s advisor approval must be agreed before the interview.
Regular Service Applicants. Personnel currently serving in the Regular Royal Air Force should be mindful of the current Early Termination Minimum Waiting Time (MWT) for their respective Rank, Profession and ensure this MWT is compatible with the post sponsor’s proposed start date, prior to applying.
Ex-service candidates who have been administratively discharged through the QR1027 process will have their applications rejected as they are not eligible to join the RAF Reserves in accordance with AP 3391 (Vol 3, Lft 207, Annex L, Para 1a).
Pension Issues. Personnel who qualify for a service pension should take financial advice from Defence Business Services (DBS) Pensions Department on the effect that undertaking reserve service has on their pension (details can be found on the JPA splash screen). Additional guidance can also be found at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pensions-and-compensation-for-veterans and MMP116 - Re-employment. Of particular note is reference to the ‘Effect of Re-employment’ on Commutation and, for those leaving on a ‘preserved’ pension, the Resettlement Grant.
Transition between TCoS. Personnel taking this appointment from other TCoS should consider the impact on any accrued entitlements, such as leave, resettlement etc and should seek specialist guidance where required as certain entitlements are TCoS specific and may not be retained or transferred on transition between TCoS.
Flexible Working Arrangements. In accordance with the Flexible Working (FW) Policy, Reserve personnel can request FW arrangements with their line manager. Any immediate FW requirements should be agreed with the line management at the interview stage.
Individual Reinforcement Training (IRT) (Module 1) and RAF Fitness Test (RAFFT). Reserve personnel are required to maintain currency in IRT and the RAFFT iaw the relevant TCoS. The successful applicant will be expected to undertake IRT and the RAFFT within 6 months of commencing employment (if required).
Annual Salary and Leave. Pay will be in accordance with the pay scales published for the reserve air forces. Leave entitlement is detailed in JSP 760.
Accommodation. Personnel serving on FTRS(LC/HC)/ADC TCoS are eligible to occupy Single Living Accommodation (SLA) if available, at entitled rates, if serving within the Air Command TLB.
This opportunity is closed to applications.