SNCO Operational Support Team
Subject to formal establishment amendment, a vacancy will arise for a Sgt (TG4 – ICT Tech) to serve as SNCO Operational Support Team (OST) at the Air & Space Warfare Centre (ASWC), RAF Waddington. This will be on Full Time Reserve Service (HC) Terms and Conditions of Service (TCoS) with an initial proposed start date of 09 January 2023 (or earlier, depending upon candidate status).
The mission of the ASWC is the provision of accurate, timely and contextual Integrated Mission Support to front line units and operational commanders. Based in HQ ASWC, as SNCO OST you will be responsible for the management of the Distributed-Cyber Protect Team (D-CPT) and specialist IT systems in use. As somebody who enjoys solving problems you will use your technical ability and design flair to produce well thought out solutions that interface with the users in a way that is relevant to them. The ASWC is a high-profile organisation and we aim to excel at what we do, to that end you will be expected to work collaboratively with other centres of excellence ensuring that we are always employing and helping determine best practice.
Principal duties include:
Provision of a Distributed-Cyber Protection Team
• Responsible to OC Information Services (ISX) for the Cyber Defence of ASWC applicable Communications Information Systems (CIS) iaw Air Command and 591SU Directives through the formation of a D-CPT.
• Provide a responsive capability to either react to locally generated Cyber incidents or respond to any A6 Cyber directives in the protection of identified systems such as the progression of MODCERTS.
• Provide Cyber Defensive training to ASWC personnel.
• Ensuring through the attendance at Cyber Defence Seminars and Symposiums that the D-CPT are kept up to date with the latest industry Cyber Defence best practices.
• Ensuring an effective liaison with 591SU and developing a Cyber Champion Network within ASWC.
• Carrying out ISO27001 Information Security Management Audits.
Support to ASWC CIS
• The Management, Maintenance and effective Operation of specialist standalone Networks, Laptops and associated CIS.
• Support the Management, Maintenance and Operation of Defence Digital equipment within ASWC and all deployed elements, such as MODNET OS, S and AS.
• Promoting and developing new innovative ways of working including best industry practice to enhance CIS Operational output.
• Assisting the Information Service Delivery (ISD) and Administration Teams (ISA) to provide 1st line response to user issues.
• Assist the ISD Team to manage Building Change requests.
• Identify and effectively introduce new CIS capability using recognised Project Management techniques.
• Responsible for the management of the ISX Disaster Recovery/Business continuity plans and ensuring the plans are tested annually.
• Managing, training and the leadership of all OST personnel, ensuring that subordinates are trained appropriately to deliver the required Operational CIS output to ASWC and effective Cyber Defence.
• Maintaining OST’s readiness to travel to support ASWC assets in a deployed environment.
- Must either have been, or currently be, a Sgt (TG4 – ICT Tech) or, a Cpl (TG4 – ICT Tech) who is eligible for promotion in accordance with AP 3392 Vol 2 Leaflet 560 and AP 3376 Vol 1. All Promotions will be ratified by means of a Promotion Board. If an applicant has been out of full-time military service and is applying for a post on promotion, they will also need to send their civilian appraisals or equivalent to evidence recent skills, knowledge and experience to be considered by the Promotion Board.
- Experience of working within a C4I Sqn, 90SU or equivalent.
- Good leadership, organisational and communication skills.
- Able to meet the security requirements for the role including maintaining a Developed Vetted clearance.
- Hold a full clean UK Driving Licence.
- Familiarity with the Maintenance, Management and Repair of CIS and effective Cyber Defence experience as a member of a Distributed - Cyber Protection Team.
- Experience of working within a C4I Sqn, 90SU or equivalent
- Project management experience.
- Experience of Quality Management Systems.
A Selection Board will carry out a rigorous selection process for this post, based principally on an applicant’s last 3 appraisal reports. Telephone enquiries concerning this vacancy should be made to:
FS John Sinclair
ASWC FS ISX
Mil – +443001512919
Civ – +443001512919
Applications. Candidate applications, with a maximum 2 page CV (to include copies of last 3 appraisal reports) should be sent to:
Sqn Ldr A Lewis
ASWC SO2 ISX
Air Warfare Centre
The closing date for applications is 08 November 2022 and interviews (unless prom board required) will take place soon after.
Unless already enlisted in the Reserve Air Forces the successful applicant will be required to be enlisted in the RAFR with a liability for call-out for permanent service.
The appointment is on FTRS (HC) TCoS in accordance with AP 3392 Vol 7 Part 1 and AP3392 Vol 7 Part 3 Chapter 2 for an initial period of up to 5 years.
Confirmation of appointment will depend on successful completion of a RAF Medical Board. Personnel who do not meet the Age/Permanent Joint Medical Employment Standard (PJMES) may apply for the appointment but will only be considered subject to an executive waiver process on a case-by-case basis.
Candidates who have been out of regular or reserve service for more than 5 years may be considered for this appointment. Prior approval must be sought from the relevant Professions Advisor to confirm current and past experience prior to being invited to interview.
Applicants of an equivalent rank from sister Services may apply but will only be accepted into the Royal Air Force Reserves if an appropriate Professions advisor can be identified to sponsor the applicant. The relevant Profession’s advisor approval must be agreed before the interview.
Regular Service Applicants. Personnel currently serving in the Regular Royal Air Force should be mindful of the current Early Termination Minimum Waiting Time (MWT) for their respective Rank, Profession and ensure this MWT is compatible with the post sponsor’s proposed start date, prior to applying.
Ex-service candidates who have been administratively discharged through the QR1027 process will have their applications rejected as they are not eligible to join the RAF Reserves in accordance with AP 3391 (Vol 3, Lft 207, Annex L, Para 1a).
Pension Issues. Personnel who qualify for a service pension should take financial advice from Defence Business Services (DBS) Pensions Department on the effect that undertaking reserve service has on their pension (details can be found on the JPA splash screen). Additional guidance can also be found at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pensions-and-compensation-for-veterans and MMP116 - Re-employment. Of particular note is reference to the ‘Effect of Re-employment’ on Commutation and, for those leaving on a ‘preserved’ pension, the Resettlement Grant.
Transition between TCoS. Personnel taking this appointment from other TCoS should consider the impact on any accrued entitlements, such as leave, resettlement etc and should seek specialist guidance where required as certain entitlements are TCoS specific and may not be retained or transferred on transition between TCoS.
Flexible Working Arrangements. In accordance with the Flexible Working (FW) Policy, Reserve personnel can request Flexible or Remote arrangements with their line manager. Any immediate FW requirements should be agreed with the line management at the interview stage.
Individual Reinforcement Training (IRT) (Module 1) and RAF Fitness Test (RAFFT). Reserve personnel are required to maintain currency in IRT and the RAFFT iaw the relevant TCoS. The successful applicant will be expected to undertake IRT and the RAFFT within 6 months of commencing employment (if required).
Annual Salary and Leave. Pay will be in accordance with the pay scales published for the reserve air forces. Leave entitlement is detailed in JSP 760.
Accommodation. Personnel serving on FTRS(HC) TCoS are eligible to occupy Single Living Accommodation (SLA) if available, at entitled rates, if serving within the Air Command TLB. However, due to a severe shortage, it is unlikely that accommodation will be available at RAF Waddington.
This opportunity is closed to applications.