TRANSITION MGR ENG LOGS SME
A vacancy has arisen for a Wing Commander (Engineer (AS)) to serve as the Tornado Team Eng SME at MODSAP, Cromwell House, London on Full Time Reserve Service (FTRS) Limited Commitment (LC), Terms and Conditions of Service (TCoS) with an initial proposed start date of 04 April 2022 (or earlier).
SO1 Tornado Team SME is the senior representative of the MODSAP Tornado Team in the UK, overseeing the Systems and Structure Post Design Support activity, New Business and the coordination and delivery of Tornado Release to Service activity, acting as the link between the European based Design Organisations for Tornado and those supporting the Kingdom Saudi Arabia (KSA) Customer in KSA.
- SO1 is responsible for supporting the KSA Customer Tornado aircraft, through Deputy Head Platforms Tornado, to Head of Programmes (HoP), who holds the delegated MODSAP responsibilities from PUS through DGSAP.
- Understanding and acting iaw the MODSAP Tornado Programme Management Strategy and developing and maintaining the Tornado elements of the MODSAP Project Monitoring Plan.
- Provide continued support, assurance and sustained Tornado corporate knowledge to the MODSAP Saudi British Defence Cooperation Programme (SBDCP) for Tornado. This includes the provision of military advice and service expertise related to RAF Tornado GR4 to the KSA Customer, the PC and other MODSAP personnel as required.
- Engage in informal and formal NETMA & NAMMO forums at Wg Cdr Level to represent the interest of the UK Government and the KSA Customer within NETMA and NAMMO.
- Oversee the enduring activities of the RAF Tornado GR4 Force Deactivation Programme to exploit opportunities to benefit the KSA Customer and any KSA Customer Tornado future supportability proposals under development by BAE Systems as the Prime Contractor (PC). This includes coordinating historic RAF Tornado maintenance support advice to the RSAF.
- Generating the MODSAP Assurance Strategy and Plan for completeness prior to agreement with key stakeholders (MODSAP HoP, VAC Lead, DO and PC). Responsible for the oversight and delivery of MODSAP assurance activity for all platform changes to the KSA Customer Tornado Type Design, inclusive of changes to Operational Envelope, which affect the Tornado Release to Service.
- Providing specialist inputs to Statements of Requirement (SOR)/Statements of Work for Letters of Agreement, or in support of Costed Proposals, when required by CBSAP.
- Support monitoring and assurance of the PC’s development of any future supportability plan in terms of:
- Business Case.
- Support Solution Statement of Requirement.
- Support Solution Statement of Work.
- ROM costed proposal.
- Support the development of a NETMA/NAMMO future relationship model/construct with the PC, NETMA and the DE&S Combat Air, that ensures that MODSAP can continue to deliver its obligations to the Saudi Arabian Government in accordance with the Government-to-Government Memorandum of Understanding.
- Engage with the Deactivation Manager and Team at RAF Marham and Abbey Wood in order to identify and exploit RAF engineering opportunities from the FAST Tornado Deactivation Strategy, Plan and activities that could benefit the KSA Customer Tornado operation.
- Engage with the PC to assure the delivery of an optimised future engineering support model that will enable the KSA Customer to operate a safe, sustainable and operationally relevant KSA Customer Tornado Weapon System to its designated out-of-service date.
- Attend working groups in NETMA, Abbey Wood, Warton, RAF Marham, Bristol, Warton and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as required in support of Tornado.
- Attendance at PC key safety meetings – PSEC, PSC, HMM, SCRASC, to provide technical overview and input, ensuring safety meetings outcomes are captured as evidence and form part of the respective MODSAP assurance reporting activity.
- Must either have been, or currently be, a Wg Cdr Engineer (AS) or a Sqn Ldr Engineer (AS) eligible for promotion in accordance with AP 3393 Vol 1 and AP 7000.
- Must have Fast Jet (FJ) Project Team (PT), Engineering Authority (EA) or Continuing Airworthiness Management Organisation (CAMO) experience at SO2 or higher under the Military Aviation Authority regulatory framework.
- Must have a strong inter-personal skill set.
- Tornado PT, EA or CAMO at SO2 or higher.
- Command at OF3 or higher.
- Engineering experience.
- Previous FJ OC Depth, Forward Support Wing or Engineering & Logistics Wing.
- Detailed working knowledge of Tornado Support in FAST, MODSAP, RAF Marham and BAE Systems.
A Selection Board will carry out a rigorous selection process for this post, based principally on an applicant’s last 4 appraisal reports. Enquiries concerning this vacancy should be made to:
Sqn Ldr Chris Phipps
SO2 Tornado Eng (UK)
Dean Stanley Street
Civilian Telephone: +44 (0)30 6770 2490 / 2497
Mobile : +44 (0)7811 238 696
Applications. Candidate applications, with a maximum 2-page CV (to include copies of last 4 appraisal reports) should be sent to:
Sqn Ldr Chris Phipps
SO2 Tornado Eng (UK)
Dean Stanley Street
The closing date for applications is 30 Nov 2021 and (unless prom board required) interviews are expected to be held in the week commencing 13 Dec 2021.
Unless already commissioned in the Reserve Air Forces the successful applicant will be required to be commissioned in the RAFR with a liability for call-out for permanent service.
The appointment is on Full Time Reserve Service (Limited Commitment) TCoS in accordance with AP 3392 Vol 7 Part 1 Chapter 16 and AP3392 Vol 7 Part 3 Chapter 2 for an initial period of 5 years.
Confirmation of appointment will depend on successful completion of a RAF Medical Board. Personnel who do not meet the Age/Permanent Joint Medical Employment Standard (PJMES) may apply for the appointment but will only be considered subject to an executive waiver process on a case by case basis.
Candidates who have been out of regular or reserve service for more than 5 years may be considered for this appointment. Prior approval must be sought from the relevant Branch & Trade Advisor to confirm current and past experience prior to being invited to interview.
Applicants of an equivalent rank from sister Services may apply but will only be accepted into RAFR service if an appropriate branch/trade sponsor can be identified to sponsor the applicant. Branch/trade sponsor approval must be agreed before the interview.
Regular Service Applicants. Personnel currently serving in the Regular Royal Air Force should be mindful of the current Early Termination Minimum Waiting Time (MWT) for their respective Rank, Branch/Trade and ensure this MWT is compatible with the post sponsor’s proposed start date, prior to applying.
Ex-service candidates who have been administratively discharged through the QR1027 process will have their applications rejected as they are not eligible to join the RAF Reserves in accordance with AP 3391 (Vol 3, Lft 207, Annex L, Para 1a)
Pension Issues. Personnel who qualify for a service pension should take financial advice from Defence Business Services (DBS) Pensions Department on the effect that undertaking reserve service has on their pension (details can be found on the JPA splash screen). Additional guidance can also be found at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pensions-and-compensation-for-veterans. Of particular note is reference to the ‘Effect of Re-employment on Commutation’.
Flexible Working Arrangements. In accordance with the Flexible Working (FW) Policy, Reserves personnel are able to request FW arrangements with their line manager. Any immediate FW requirements should be agreed with the line management at the interview stage.
Individual Reinforcement Training (IRT) (Module 1) and RAF Fitness Test (RAFFT). Reserve personnel are required to maintain currency in IRT and the RAFFT iaw the relevant TCoS. The successful applicant will be expected to undertake IRT and the RAFFT within 6 months of commencing employment (if required).
Annual Salary and Leave. Pay will be in accordance with the pay scales published for the reserve air forces. Leave entitlement is detailed in JSP 760.
Accommodation. Personnel serving on FTRS(LC/HC)/ADC TCoS are eligible to occupy Single Living Accommodation (SLA) if available, at entitled rates, if serving within the Air Command TLB. However, there is no accommodation available with this position.